Identity Theft and Credit Reports


Identity theft can cause inaccurate accounts, debts, and other information to appear on your credit report. If you’ve been victimized by identity theft, there are various things you can do to limit or prevent harm to your credit report. If harm already occurred, federal law provides various procedures you can use to fix your credit report. 

If you need help fixing credit report errors caused by identity theft, or if you believe your rights were violated, contact BCJ Law for help. To speak with our credit report attorney, call 1-800-997-5561 or complete our contact form.

How can I limit harm to my credit report caused by identity theft?

There are numerous things you should do if you’ve been victimized by identity theft, including the following:

  • File A Police Report: you should file a police report after being victimized by identity theft. This will help correct your account if any harm is caused by the identity theft.
  • Place Fraud Alerts on Credit Reports: put fraud alerts in place by contacting Equifax, Experian, or TransUnion. Fraud alerts generally last for a year and make it more difficult for imposters to open accounts in your name.
  • Contact Creditors: call your credit card company, bank, or other service provider to let them know your identity was stolen. Request closures or freezes on accounts so new charges can't be added without your consent.
  • Change Passwords and LogIns: change all of your passwords, logins, security questions, PINs, and any other information that may be used to gain access to financial, business, or personal accounts.
  • Review Your Credit Report for Fraud: pull your credit report after identity theft to make sure fraudulent information has not been placed on it. You can pull your report for free if you were victimized by identity theft.
  • Go to IdentityTheft.Gov: visit the FTC's website to report identity theft. Through this website, you can get letters and other resources to send to creditors, debt collectors, and credit reporting agencies to limit any harm that may occur because of identity theft.

How can I fix my credit report after identity theft?

To fix a credit report that was harmed by fake accounts or other false information caused by identity theft, you can use the dispute procedures of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). If you properly dispute an error, credit reporting agencies and information providers must investigate your dispute and correct errors.

First, you should pull a free copy of your credit report. Second, note each inaccuracy and write a dispute letter explaining why the information is inaccurate. Include a copy of the police report you filed when you discovered you were an identity theft victim, or any letters you sent to creditors, banks, or credit card companies. Third, send your dispute to the credit reporting agencies and wait for them to complete their investigation. Fourth, if an investigation does not resolve in your favor, try to send follow-up disputes with additional documents or information. For more detail on how to dispute credit report errors, read our credit report dispute page.

Hire BCJ Law to help!

If were a victim of identity theft, or if you’re having other credit report problems, contact BCJ Law LLC for help. To speak with our credit report attorney, call 1-800-997-5561 or complete our contact form.

Page Contents:

Share This Page:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on google
Share on print
Share on email