How To Correct Mixed Credit Files


A “mixed credit file,” commonly called a “mixed” or “merged” credit report, refers to a situation where you’re confused with another person. When this happens, the name or address of someone else may appear on your credit report. In serious situations, mixed files result in another person’s accounts, delinquencies, collections, or other information appearing on your credit report.   

For tips on fixing a mixed credit file, continue reading this page. If you need help, or if you believe your rights were violated, contact BCJ Law for help. To speak with our credit report attorney, call 1-800-997-5561 or complete our contact form.

How can my credit report get merged with someone else?

Credit reporting agencies (CRAs) are a common cause for mixed credit files. Lenders, banks, insurance companies, and other third-party information providers send CRAs millions of pieces of information each day. CRAs then match that data to specific consumers, creating consumer credit files. Mixed files occur when CRAs match information to the wrong person. When another person’s information is matched to you, that information may appear on your credit report.

Another source for mixed credit files are the lenders, banks, insurance companies, and other third-party data furnishes that provide information to CRAs. If an information provider attributes information of someone else to you, then that information may be placed in your credit file by a CRA.

Can information that's not mine be removed from my credit report?

Yes, mixed credit files are fixable. Credit reporting agencies are able to remove mixed or merged account information from your file. Inaccurate identifying information, like incorrect names or addresses, also should be removed. If these inaccuracies remain, incorrect accounts and other data appear may continue to appear on your credit report.

How can I fix a mixed credit file?

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) gives you the right to dispute credit report errors. Fixing mixed credit files can be difficult because consumers must prove that information does not belong to them. The following steps can help correct your file:

  • Pull your credit report: pull your credit report and identify all information, names, and addresses that don't belong to you.
  • Write a dispute letter: write a dispute letter that identifies all information, names, and address that aren't yours.
  • Explain why information doesn't belong to you: Try your best to provide facts to prove that a piece of information isn't yours.
  • Provide supporting documents: if you have documents that show why a piece of information doesn't belong to you, include those documents in your dispute letter, and explain how they support your position.
  • Send your dispute directly to credit reporting agencies: the FCRA requires disputes to be sent directly to credit reporting agencies, even if you think a third-party is the cause of your error.
  • Send copies of your dispute to information providers: if you think a third-party reported information that's not yours, send a copy of your dispute to that information provider.

In addition to these basic steps, there are other actions you can and should take during the dispute process to protect your rights. To learn about what other steps you can take during the dispute process, visit our page on disputing credit report errors.

What happens if my dispute is denied?

Mixed credit file errors can be difficult to correct. If your credit report is not corrected after your initial dispute, continue trying to resolve the matter, either by sending additional disputes, or by providing additional facts, explanations, documents, or information. If you can’t get another person’s name, address, or other information off your credit report, you may need to hire a lawyer or initiate a lawsuit to get your file corrected.

Hire BCJ Law to help!

If you’re having credit report problems, contact BCJ Law LLC for help. To speak with our credit report attorney, call 1-800-997-5561 or complete our contact form.

Page Contents:

Share This Page:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on google
Share on print
Share on email