Equifax Credit Report Problems


Equifax is a nationwide credit reporting agency. If you find an error or inaccuracy on an Equifax credit report, you can send a dispute letter. By law, Equifax must investigate your dispute and correct any errors or inaccuracies it finds.

If you need help disputing Equifax credit report errors, or if you’re experiencing other Equifax credit report problems, contact BCJ Law for help. Call 1-800-997-5561 or complete our contact form.

Why does Equifax collect information on consumers?

Equifax is one of the largest credit reporting agencies in the world. It collects data on close to one billion persons and businesses worldwide. It then matches that data to specific individuals and creates credit files. These files then are distributed as credit reports to various individuals and businesses who use the credit reports to evaluate consumers.

What's in an Equifax credit report?

Equifax credit reports contain the following information:

  • Payment histories (as submitted by credit card issuers, banks, finance companies, mortgage servicers, and other information providers).
  • The amount of credit you have and use.
  • Debts in collection (as reported by debt collection agencies and debt buyers).
  • Public records information (like liens and bankruptcies).
  • Credit inquiries (made by third-parties, like when you apply for credit).

How do I get my Equifax credit report?

Equifax will provide a free credit report every 12 months on request. You can request your free credit report by using annualcreditreport.comIf you have difficulty getting your report online, call Equifax using its toll free number: (800) 525-6285 (Option 6). For more detailed instructions on how to get your credit report, read our page on how to get your credit report for free.

Can I fix Equifax credit report errors?

Credit report attorneys offer free consultations and most times can help you correct credit report errors for free.

Call BCJ Law LLC for Help!

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) gives you the right to dispute credit report errors. As long as you comply with the FCRA, Equifax must investigate your credit report dispute. It then must correct or remove any errors or inaccuracies it finds.

You must follow the proper procedures when disputing credit report errors. For example, your dispute letter must identify and explain the error at issue and must be sent directly to a credit report agency. Visit our page on disputing credit report errors for general information on the dispute process. If you need help, complete our contact form, or call us at 1-800-997-5561.

To send a dispute to Equifax, you can use this address: P.O. Box 740256, Atlanta, GA 30374-0256. You also can dispute errors online through Equifax’s website: www.equifax.com.

Do people complain about Equifax credit report errors?

A federal complaint database maintained by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) currently shows over 116,000 complaints filed against Equifax. Thousands of complaints against Equifax also have been filed with the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

Consumers complain about many types of issues, including mixed file errorsidentity theft, old information appearing on their credit report, and the improper disclosure of their credit report. Common credit report errors include:

Identity errors:

  • Another person's name, address, employer, or phone number on a credit report.
  • Another person's account appearing on a credit report.
  • Accounts, names, or addresses appearing as a result of identity theft
  • Another person's public records information on a credit report.

Account errors:

  • Incorrect account balances or credit limits
  • Incorrect dates of payment, account opening, delinquencies, or charge-off.
  • Closed accounts reported as open.
  • On-time accounts reported as late, delinquent, or past-due.
  • Wrong creditor, debt collector, or account holder listed on an account.

Management errors:

  • Re-reporting information that was deleted because of a dispute.
  • Failing to update accounts discharged through bankruptcy or litigation.
  • Listing the same account more than once.
  • Reporting old financial or personal information.
  • Re-reporting inaccurate or out-dated information.

Hire BCJ Law to Help!

If Equifax is reporting inaccurate information about you, refused to investigate your dispute, failed to correct an error, or disclosed your credit report for an improper purpose, contact BCJ Law LLC. To get a free case review, call 1-800-997-5561 or complete our contact form.

Page Contents:

Share This Page:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on google
Share on print
Share on email